Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

RL vs PhD: 5 reasons why academia is better than the 'real world'

[caption id="attachment_1256" align="alignleft" width="300"]RL vs PhD eye Photo credit: Emma Goodman[/caption]

As a PhD student with a mortgage, perhaps you could say that I'm crossing the age divide. I also find myself in the interesting predicament of requiring extra-university employment to top-up my meager stipend and fund my living arrangements. For me, that comes in the form of a weekend retail job at an optometry clinic (of course it has to be a little bit 'sciencey'). Perhaps you could say that as a developing academic, I'm consorting with the devil after hours. What this does give me, if not a sense of self-worth, is some perspective... Did I make the right career choice progressing through university and into academia rather than moving into a profession?

As of this weekend, I have 'retired' from my 'real life' optometry job, and have decided to stick with what I know. To make myself feel better about my decision, here are 5 reasons why a PhD is better than a 'RL' job: 

1. Low stress levels.

Yeah, there's the whole having to conduct your own project and write a massive thesis thing. And it does seem to take quite a lot of time in total. But when you think on the day to day scale, does anything much happen? No, not really! You read some stuff, do some experiments, sometimes it takes ages and sometimes it doesn't. You have time to think about what you're doing, and learn everything thoroughly to the best of your ability. Deadlines are only 'expected completion dates', and can usually be extended for quite a few months anyway.

2. You are your own boss. 

They only person you're hurting by not doing that experiment today, is yourself. If you're the lazy sort, this might not work for you, but hopefully as a motivated PhD student you will appreciate the freedom to work hard to your own schedule.

Coffee? Sure, why not, I'm on a 15 minute incubation anyway. It's all about time management.

3. You don't have to wear your 'people-friendly' face every day. 

Feeling a bit antisocial today? You don't have to listen to patients, deal with members of the public, or even talk to other colleagues if you don't want to. This is what microscope or tissue culture rooms are for---alone time.

4. A PhD student enjoys relatively more status than an entry-level RL job. 

In my experience, a PhD student does not experience the same statutory discrimination as an employee of an RL job. In a lab meeting situation, a PhD student has just as much right to speak their mind as a more senior academic. Being a PhD student is not socially unacceptable in a research lab as it is in RL.

You might beat yourself up for your own mistakes, but unless you make unplug the -80 freezer or something equally as devastating, no one else will yell at you for forgetting some minor task as they will in the world of retail RL.

5. Your potential for travel opportunities are much higher. 

PhD students are encouraged to attend at least one international conference during their degree, and I know many who have attended more. These are probably almost entirely funded by the university or an external funding source, leaving you to enjoy an overseas adventure relatively out of pocket. The equivalent in RL would be a self-paid holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment